After my post about the Nintendo64 Mini, I realized that I’ve never even considered a GameCube Mini.
As I sat thinking about it, I couldn’t recall that many GC games even though I own several of them. Then I started wondering if there would even be enough notable games to get to 30.
So I googled it. And, to my surprise, there are 661 GameCube games. From that number, yeah, I’m sure I can find enough to fill out this hypothetical roster.
Going through the list, I found that there are a lot of GC games based off movies and TV shows, including Jimmy Neutron, Avatar: The Last Airbender and for some reason Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Admittedly, my family owns the Shrek 2 GC game so maybe I shouldn’t have been that surprised.
Besides that, though, I was also shocked by the GameCube’s life span. I didn’t realize it was the Nintendo home console for so long.
The GameCube launched in North America on November 18, 2001, and the last officially licensed game for the system was released in North America on August 14, 2007.
Not only did the GameCube have quite a bit of longevity, it also featured amazing sequels to games that debuted on the Nintendo64 (hey, Melee!). And, with the hypothetical GameCube Mini, it would be the first time that GC games were available for another console (excluding the Wii’s backwards compatibility), due to the absence of GameCube games from the Virtual Console.
And so, as I took a refresher trip down memory lane (and the List of GameCube games Wikipedia page) to put this list together:
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (2004)
- Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)
- Luigi’s Mansion (2001)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002)
- Kirby Air Ride (2003)
- Animal Crossing (2001)
- Mortal Kombat: Deception (2002)
- Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (2005)
- Mario Kart: Double Dash (2003)
- Metroid Prime (2002)
- Mario Party 6 (2004)
- Mario Party 5 (2003)
- Need for Speed: Underground (2003)
- Pikmin (2001)
- Pikmin 2 (2004)
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002)
- Super Monkey Ball 2 (2002)
- Wario World (2003)
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004)
- Super Mario Strikers (2005)
- Star Fox Adventures (2002)
- Mario Superstar Baseball (2005)
- Crash Nitro Kart (2003)
- Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (2003)
- Lego Star Wars: The Video Game (2005)
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (2003)
- Star Fox Assault (2005)
- Pokemon Colosseum (2003)
- F-Zero GX (2003)